Pages

Welcome....

Since as far back as I can remember, and since I am turning 30 this month that seems like a lot longer than it probably is, I have wanted to teach. The first of 20 or so in my generation, I was somewhat predestined to be a leader. When I realized teaching someone something new not only empowered the other person, but also deeply empowered me, I was hooked. In high school I was a member of a program that partnered special education students with peers to promote success for both and working my summers at sleep away camp for children with disabilities. I took some time off to find myself and begin a family but could not stay away. I am currently working in a school where I plan on making a huge difference.

My struggles are not always unique, they are sometimes emotional, and they are always worth sharing...

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Week 4- Reading- The Art of Possibility (cont...)


The first two thirds of the book, The Art of Possibility by Rosamund and Benjamin Zander, presented more than food for thought, in my opinion.  If the average thought provoking piece of literature is "food for thought" this book was enough sustenance to provide for a small starving third-world nation.  

The eight chapters prior have given a structure for acknowledging the less effective "thinking" or practices that we participate in and allow to effect our lives.  They also begin to layout the groundwork for what and how to change in order to live more efficacious and powerful life.

In chapter nine we examine the idea of owning responsibility for everything that happens in your life.  It is important to acknowledge the risks that we take and their importance, but also that without taking those risks, we would live without the rewards which comes with the outcome of those risks.  This chapter also speaks to the idea that we need to allow the things that happen in the pass to be processed and then left in the past rather than owning space in our present lives. 

Chapter 10.  In effort to pull all of these considerable ideas into one coherent plan of action we take in our role in laying out and carrying out a framework for which to follow. 

To sum up the book, I want to just comment on the final chapters.  The authors point out the importance of disassociating ourselves with the “us vs. them” mentality and putting focus on our ability to give concession to our connections and then go beyond and look at the places where we can foster those connections.

Life is defined by the experiences we accumulate.  I have a new appreciation for the title of this book.  There is an "art" to creating possibilities is our lives.  If we limit those possibilities than we are limiting the depth and breadth of our lives.  If we are not living life to it's fullest than what purpose are we serving.

2 comments:

  1. Well put Danielle. There have been many things to mentally "chew" on throughout this book. And I appreciate the various stories of how these practices have been enacted, even beyond the musical realm. Without negating the importance of anything, we can move through life viewing the possibilities rather than struggling to hold onto the scarcity - which oddly enough tends to produce more abundance than careful conservation usually does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great summary and observations. It's definitely an art to adjust and appreciate this change in direction or more correctly, change in perception.

    ReplyDelete