Pages

Welcome....

Since as far back as I can remember, and since I am turning 30 this month that seems like a lot longer than it probably is, I have wanted to teach. The first of 20 or so in my generation, I was somewhat predestined to be a leader. When I realized teaching someone something new not only empowered the other person, but also deeply empowered me, I was hooked. In high school I was a member of a program that partnered special education students with peers to promote success for both and working my summers at sleep away camp for children with disabilities. I took some time off to find myself and begin a family but could not stay away. I am currently working in a school where I plan on making a huge difference.

My struggles are not always unique, they are sometimes emotional, and they are always worth sharing...

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Week 1- Comment to My Classmates #3


Image retrieved and adapted from FB profile pics.

Nereyda's Comments regarding Copyright Issues:
"10 big myths about copyrights explained," gave me clearer picture about copyrights.  I'm guilty for believing some of those big myths mentioned.  One thing is crystal clear for me and that is, "ask for permission!" 

After watching 'Good Copy Bad Copy' I was struck by creativeness of the evolving remix culture of copyrighted material.  First of all, I definitely agree with Girl Talk in that we are bombarded with media on the Internet, and this has caused us to create a new art form, the remix culture.  I personally believe that people have the right to protect their art, but I also believe that it's important to share and reinvent new forms of art.  We constantly see this in the fashion industry, fashion designers recycle styles and create new styles.  The human race and technology are evolving and so are new art forms.  It's important for laws and companies to evolve as well to be able to provide fair uses of copyrighted material like music and movies to society.  I can see why Africa, Europe, and other countries are pirating music and films.  Their too expensive, and especially for developing countries.  I would like to share that practically everyone in Spain buys pirated movies and music, which mainly come from Africa.  It was interesting to hear one Spaniard tell me that he likes watching the pirate movie first before watching it in the cinema.  Further, it's difficult to say what really determines remix art to be a 'good copy or bad copy' if it is continually being used to create something new.



The copyright law cartoon video is the perfect example of the remix culture art.  I thought it was a genius way to explain the copyright and fair use law; even though, the laws are still not very fair for the users. Further, who really owns what seems to really be the question.  The person who first copyrights something or the person who first came up with the idea? I think it's difficult to find a balance, especially if one side only cares about the money.  


Finally, I don't think it's fair to take away something historical from society such as "The Eyes on the Prize" video.  It saddens me to know that their are a lot more historical films like this that have been stored away from society due to licensing fees, money.  However, I think 'fair use' creators are doing their best in trying to develop a code of best practices in using copyrighted material.  


My comments to Nereyda-
I have to agree with you, particularly on your comments regarding the 'Good Copy, Bad Cop' video.  It is so difficult when it comes to art.  All forms of art require that the creator to some degree has experienced the work of others and their art then become an expression or reaction of the compilation of those experiences.  Art is often by its very nature the copying of those before you.  I think it is in some ways terrible that there is even a need to copyright something in order to protect it.  I feel that if people just followed their gut on what was right and wrong, what is acceptable and what is not in terms of the use of or building upon of others' work.  You hear of stories where music artists create remixes of their colleagues songs, and all it took was a friendly communication to express the fact that they respected the original artist and their work and they would like to create their own piece based upon the first.  I think that this is what it should be.  As you stated in your first comment, "just ask first". 
Early on in EMDT we were asked to create a short movie clip to promote our ARP and I came across a song that I liked the lyrics to.  With minimal research I found that the band was an up and coming band and they were happy to let me use their song.  They were proud to have me use their music and gave my constructive feedback on my finished video.  It was a wonderful example of how easily these issues can be resolved and in such a relationship building manner rather than the opposite.  

No comments:

Post a Comment