Pages

Welcome....

Since as far back as I can remember, and since I am turning 30 this month that seems like a lot longer than it probably is, I have wanted to teach. The first of 20 or so in my generation, I was somewhat predestined to be a leader. When I realized teaching someone something new not only empowered the other person, but also deeply empowered me, I was hooked. In high school I was a member of a program that partnered special education students with peers to promote success for both and working my summers at sleep away camp for children with disabilities. I took some time off to find myself and begin a family but could not stay away. I am currently working in a school where I plan on making a huge difference.

My struggles are not always unique, they are sometimes emotional, and they are always worth sharing...

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Week 2- Comments to My Classmates #1

Noelia post regarding The Art of Possibility

Image retrieved and modified from FB profile pics.
The book The Art of Possibility is a book that makes you think deeply about how we see ourselves and how we can see things from the point of view we desire. In the first four chapters, the author opens up a world of possibilities to challenge our initiative towards a greater concept of our being, the confidence we have in everything we do and how we should stop for a moment and review the events to be responsive to these in a positive, powerful and efficient way. It discusses how we can have the success that we want and what we can achieve if we actually see and accept who we are and what we can be. The text directs us toward an objective and authentic attitude to open up new paths and new challenges. It also reflects the power that we have as educators if we learn to see and appreciate the styles and actions of our students and how we can encourage and motivate students to wake up their hidden or repressed skills. A perspective in which we can learn new things from students and the importance and meaning of things for them. In the fourth chapter the author describes the importance that produces contributing to the lives of others, to move away from ego-centrism, to relate with others and make a difference. It's amazing the simplicity with which the author makes us rethink the way you view life and its circumstances. Personally I identified myself with several of the stories in the book and learned a few strategies on how to deal with the situation by simply asking myself important, thoughtful questions and answer them from another perspective, a perspective that is what I desire, what I want. The effect of the practices that the author explains can greatly benefit our environment, our success, our relationships with others, in fact our course in life and most importantly our happiness. I enjoyed reading this book and like me, I know that it will help others have a better vision of our circumstances and because of all this I give the authors an A.


Comments to Noelia-

I was especially drawn in to your reflection on the "power that we have as educators if we learn to see and appreciate the styles and actions of our students and how we can encourage and motivate students to wake up their hidden or repressed skills. A perspective in which we can learn new things from students and the importance and meaning of things for them."

I find that too often the idea is overlooked that each one of our students brings a unique experience to the learning table and that if we as educators do not acknowledge, appreciate and foster the sharing of that experience we all lose out.

I agree with you that the author has an ease with which the message is delivered.  The reader is guided through a pretty deep and philosophical journey by relatable and applicable stories and practices.

Thanks Noelia- you summed it up in a clear and stimulating piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment