Pages

Welcome....

Since as far back as I can remember, and since I am turning 30 this month that seems like a lot longer than it probably is, I have wanted to teach. The first of 20 or so in my generation, I was somewhat predestined to be a leader. When I realized teaching someone something new not only empowered the other person, but also deeply empowered me, I was hooked. In high school I was a member of a program that partnered special education students with peers to promote success for both and working my summers at sleep away camp for children with disabilities. I took some time off to find myself and begin a family but could not stay away. I am currently working in a school where I plan on making a huge difference.

My struggles are not always unique, they are sometimes emotional, and they are always worth sharing...

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Week 3- Reading- The Art of Possibility (cont...)

Reading on…               

In the chapters leading up to chapter 5 of Rosamund and Benjamin’s 2000 novel, The Art of Possibility, we are led through the journey of acknowledging and recognizing the need and the ability to see the world and it’s opportunities differently, the manner in which to do so, and the path to commitment to change.  In chapter five entitled Leading from Any Chair, speaks about how to turn the new plan of invention, and contribution, and action into one that can lead others in a positive and meaningful manner.  The underlying message rings loud and clear, “true power derives from (the) ability to make other people powerful”.  As I made the connection prior to James Redfield’s Celestine Prophecies and this piece, I found the idea intriguing and monumental that who we are, and the energy that we put out effects those around us, for the better and the worse. 

Following this belief and understanding, the next chapter is a rule that I need to spend some extra time working on.  It simply states that life is full of impediments or tribulations, but it is important to approach each as a learning opportunity and therefore one that needs not be fear or stressed about but rather approach with gusto and with the knowledge that not only can you make it through but that you will and you will be better for it. 

Chapter seven looks at the idea that the situations and areas in your life where you hold back are areas where you miss out and lose.  It pushes us to not only recognize those areas but to change, to throw ourselves into them fully, completely and without reservation. 

The following chapter discusses our power of passion and the ability and necessity to spread that passion through “sparking” that excitement in others.  We have a responsibility to inspire others, and inspiration comes from direct connection to others.  I truly like the idea that what ever passion you have should and is obliged to be shared with others because you never know what little spark might ignite a blaze. 


3 comments:

  1. I am thinking that you are talking about "Rule no. 6". If we tell our students or even ourselves, to remember Rule no. 6, then there is only one rule. Whether that rule is to be true to yourself, or any of the other ideas that Zander discusses in this book, it will be effective.

    I too attempted to point out "Rule No. 6", but those around me wanted to know what the other 5 rules were. In the last school I worked at the most important rule was to respect. If rule no. 6 is to respect yourself and others, we may all live with each other much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle - The leading from any chair philosophy must be especially true for you as a special education professional. The central focus for you is not only to drum up energy in yourself, but mostly to enable the students you are with. I'm transitioning now into a media arts educator, but as a music educator for several years, I had special needs students "visit" my room quite often, as well as those who were included. I remember those being the most enjoyable times to teach - which at the time mean to "free their potential" and point them to their personal possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Justin, I know that each of us in the education buildings are special and important in terms of providing for our kids, but I find it amazing that at a time where we are growing in terms of realizing the uniqueness of our students and the importance of valuing their individuality, we are also cutting back on our "electives". As a media arts or a music educator, you are amongst a group of teachers who offer my students the keys to unlock themselves, a place to feel not only comfortable but confident. As the title of my blog sort of suggests, I truly believe that we need to be providing each child with a tailored experience to meet their individual needs, so every child is, in my opinion, entitled to "special" education. It sounds like you are and will continue to be a phenomenal teacher, seeing each child as full of potential rather than being defined by limitations, as well as having an open door policy knowing that at times a "visit" to a room can often lead to more learning opportunities than any scheduled session or planned out time.

    ReplyDelete