Pages

Welcome....

Since as far back as I can remember, and since I am turning 30 this month that seems like a lot longer than it probably is, I have wanted to teach. The first of 20 or so in my generation, I was somewhat predestined to be a leader. When I realized teaching someone something new not only empowered the other person, but also deeply empowered me, I was hooked. In high school I was a member of a program that partnered special education students with peers to promote success for both and working my summers at sleep away camp for children with disabilities. I took some time off to find myself and begin a family but could not stay away. I am currently working in a school where I plan on making a huge difference.

My struggles are not always unique, they are sometimes emotional, and they are always worth sharing...

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Week 1- Free Choice- Leadership Project


Retrieved and Adapted from Flickr Creative Commons Speaking To an Empty Room by By herzogbr

As I consider the possibilities that lay ahead and for which the plans will be built in the month ahead, I am stuck in a mud puddle of trepidation to say the least.  As I try to dismantle the feelings that have me stuck, I believe there are many issues to mentally and emotionally approach.  We are being asked to formally write up a proposal based on our Action Research Projects (ARPs) and submit them to conventions or conferences with the “hopes” (and I use that term lightly) that we will be accepted to present our findings to our colleagues.

My initial concern is that although I consider myself a qualified and strong instructor in the classroom, I am completely intimidated by speaking in front of my colleagues.  I am not sure where this feeling comes from, in situations where there is less pressure I am quite able to speak to adults.  I do well once I get into the midst of the higher pressure situations, for example in job interviews I am fairly successful.  But this does not take away from the nervousness I feel before. 

My secondary concern is that although I fully comprehend the idea that every situation offers insight to learn from, my ARP yielded results that I feel fall well below it’s potential.  This concerns me as it adds another layer of complication when considering how to propose any presentation that I may have to offer.  I feel that there are definitely clear and expressible explanations to account for why the ARP’s goals were not met.  What I suppose that I need to put some effort into is what I would want my colleagues to walk away with from my presentation.  What did I learn, and how could I share that with other in a comprehensible manner.
Retrieved from Flickr creative Commons Leap of Faith  By ClickFlashPhotos / Nicki Varkevisser



And as if that did not pile up enough, my tertiary concern is that as I approach the end of this wonderful journey at FSO in EMDT, I am excited by the idea that there are countless opportunities out there to share and expand upon the experiences I will walk away with.  Although there is a level of excitement, it feels similar to standing at the edge of a cliff looking down at the lake below.  You know so many have taken the leap before you and you know that once you take the first step, the rest will be indescribably exhilarating.  With all that said and done, it does not take away from that gut feeling of stifling fear, which keeps you frozen in place until either you find the courage or your friend jovially gives you the necessary shove. 

So I suppose with the aforementioned analogy, I am on my climb up the cliff abutting the beautiful lake, and at this phase I should be mentally mapping out my moves and psyching myself up to take the plunge!

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with this feeling. I too am having trouble comprehending what is going to happen in the next few months. I am not sure that my work is presentation worthy, nor publishable. I too tremble at the thought of presenting this at a conference.

    After graduation there is always the abyss of what do I do now? After this journey it will be interesting to see how everything pans out. I will be hoping that somewhere, somehow, everything will work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we're hoping that your experience will be less reckless than jumping off of a cliff...

    ReplyDelete