Pages

Welcome....

Since as far back as I can remember, and since I am turning 30 this month that seems like a lot longer than it probably is, I have wanted to teach. The first of 20 or so in my generation, I was somewhat predestined to be a leader. When I realized teaching someone something new not only empowered the other person, but also deeply empowered me, I was hooked. In high school I was a member of a program that partnered special education students with peers to promote success for both and working my summers at sleep away camp for children with disabilities. I took some time off to find myself and begin a family but could not stay away. I am currently working in a school where I plan on making a huge difference.

My struggles are not always unique, they are sometimes emotional, and they are always worth sharing...

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Week 3- Comments to My Classmates- #2

http://heatherindelicato.blogspot.com/
Retrieved and Modified from FB pics.

Heather’s comments re: The Art of Possibilities-
There seems to be a fear among leaders that their leadership will fade, if they allow those they lead to become great. I love the idea of gathering perspectives and approaches from those being led by asking them to lead so you can “see how it sounds” or give their ideas and suggestions, as in the “white sheet.” Figuring out how to make this work in each class is exciting, even more so when you catch the passion of the learners through it.

The confidence and excellence I find in my students when I manage to foster this is wonderful. I begin each quarter, and remind them throughout, by telling my students that I have a class of teachers and each of them knows something even though they don’t yet have all the skills. Especially when working with my lower language skill classes, I find it would be impossible to successfully assist each student if they didn’t work together to answer questions when I’m working with another student.

In “Rule Number 6,” I’m reminded of the many times we insist children “be serious.” I think the calculating self is more than just our personality developed throughout childhood to establish a niche of acknowledgement and acceptance. I think it may be the restricted and “self-controlled” habit we’ve learned over time as we’re instructed to “behave” and “be serious.” 
It’s when we remember that childish excitement and intrigue that we can really enjoy life in its fullness. It’s the children who are constantly imagining other realities and creating different stories and games to explain the world around them. When we are able to approach life with that same freedom, interest, and excitement there’s no telling what will happen.

My Comments to Heather-
I agree with you whole-heartedly regarding Rule #6.  I think that we develop a way of thinking that allows us to just get by, almost as a survival mechanism.  If we stand out from our “herds” we will get spotted and eaten.  However, in our world, if you don’t stand out, if you don’t separate yourself from the crowd, nothing new or exceptional will ever happen.  We teach our children to follow rules, don’t ask questions, uniformly fall in line, but what about promoting uniqueness, seeing their potential in order for them to believe in their potential?  It is our job to teach them HOW to think not WHAT to think.  I don’t even like to use the words “restriction” and controls when speaking about students’ learning.  We want it to be exciting, uncontrolled, unexpected, and lacking seriousness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment